PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – The tiny pieces of Apple AirPods fit into
Jason Colon’s hand.
left is intact.
right is blown apart and charred.
the craziest thing I ever went through,” Colon said.
of Tampa, was listening to a dance mix at the LA Fitness on 4th Street
in St. Petersburg when he noticed something strange.
then I saw white smoke start billowing out,” he said.
left the AirPods on a piece of workout equipment and got help.
he returned, he was shocked.
was already like this. It was already popped. I didn’t see it happen,
but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage,”
thankful he thought to remove the wireless AirPods when he sensed
don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear,” Colon said. “But
I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] ear lobe. Ear lobe
could’ve been burnt.”
not the first time a popular product has gone up in flames.
2016, Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 after some phones caught fire
because of a defect in the batteries.
stopped later that year.
looks like this was the battery,” Colon said when explaining the
malfunction to 8 On Your Side.
isn’t exactly sure what happened to the right AirPod, but he’s
definitely sure others should be warned.
because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again,” he said.
Apple spokeswoman tells 8 On Your Side the company is investigating
and and will reach out to Colon.